Congratulations CHS Girls Swim Team! The final leap into the pool to celebrate the victory...senior girls and head coach in last.
Taken from Maggie's CSC Newsletter Report:
February 11-13th marked three hallmark days for the ladies of Carmel Swim Club as they swam to great successes both at the IHSAA State Championships and the CSC Time Trial.
Carmel Swim Club was a dominating force at the Natatorium both in and out of the pool on Friday and Saturday. The support from CSC families in the stands at the meet was absolutely amazing. Seventeen CSC girls competed for Carmel High School on our way to winning a national record 25th consecutive state championship; eight additional CSC swimmers competed at the meet from four neighboring high schools. We hope all of our swimmers in the stands enjoyed the celebration of all the hard work these young ladies put in to their swimming day in and day out, and are looking forward to their own upcoming championship seasons.
From the outset of the meet, there was no doubt that it would be a great day for Carmel. The CHS girls started out the meet by setting a new National Public High School Record in the 200 Medley Relay, and senior Rhiannon Sheets broke Olympian Lindsay Benko’s 200 Free State Record. The Greyhounds continued their excellent run, winning the first four events of the meet and achieving 23 lifetime best times out of 25 swims. By the conclusion of the meet on Saturday, Carmel Swim Club athletes won nine out of 11 possible state championships and five new school and club records were set:
- 200 Medley Relay – Carmel (Lacey Locke 10, Samantha Shaheen 12, Ariana Bullard 10, Carly Marshall 12), 1:41.42. CHS/CSC Record, State Meet Record, National Public HS Record
- 200 Freestyle – Rhiannon Sheets, 12, Carmel, 1:47.09. CHS/CSC Record, State Meet Record
- 200 Individual Medley – Lacey Locke, 10, Carmel, 2:00.71.
- 50 Freestyle – Carly Marshall, 12, Carmel, 23.35.
- 100 Freestyle – Zoe Mattingly, 11, Zionsville, 50.58.
- 500 Freestyle – Lauren Jordan, 12, Carmel, 4:47.69. CHS/CSC Record
- 200 Freestyle Relay – Carmel (Carly Marshall 12, Lucy Kramer 11, Rhiannon Sheets 12, Lacey Locke 10), 1:34.14.
- 100 Backstroke – Lacey Locke, 10, Carmel, 54.26. CHS/CSC Record
- 400 Freestyle Relay – Carmel (Rhiannon Sheets 12 – 50.22 lead-off – CSC Record, Lauren Jordan 12, Alexis Bullard 11, Margaret Ramsey 11) 3:25.00.
In addition to our event champions, the following swimmers placed in the top 16 at Saturday’s finals: Summer Brown (200 FR -13th, 500 FR -13th); Alexis Bullard (100 FR – 3rd, 100 BK – 2nd); Ariana Bullard (50 FR – 7th); Elizabeth Flaherty (500 FR – 15th); Lauren Jordan (200 FR – 2nd); Lucy Kramer (200 IM – 8th, 100 BR 10th); Carly Marshall (100 FR – 4th); Zoe Mattingly (200 FR – 3rd); Margaret Ramsey (200 FR – 4th, 500 FR – 5th); Sam Shaheen (100 BR – 4th); Keely Simonson (100 BR – 12th); and Grace VanAllen (200 FR – 10th).
Two CSC swimmers achieved their first ever Junior National cuts on Friday evening: Sophomore Ariana Bullard and Senior Carly Marshall. Carly was also honored with the IHSAA Mental Attitude Award. We are so proud of her accomplishments both in and out of the pool.
As a testament to the dedication and drive these girls all share, they returned to the Carmel Aquatics Center on Sunday afternoon for a time trial. The girls swam their hearts out once more, and Sunday was a fantastic finish to a great weekend. The swimmers who competed earned a combined 29 lifetime best times. Lacey Locke set a new CSC Record in the 200 Backstroke (1:57.64); Caroline Inman achieved her first ever individual Senior State cut in the 100 Backstroke; Carolyn Belford achieved her first individual Senior State cuts in the 400 IM and 200 Breaststroke; and Kayla Fearrin earned a new Senior State cut in the 200 Breaststroke.
We hope you can all come together to support our CSC boys as they begin their high school championship season at Carmel High School this weekend for Sectionals. Preliminaries will take place on Thursday at 5:30 PM and finals will start at 1 PM on Saturday.